Trends | Dark Nordics
There has been an increasing popularity for incorporating dark interiors into homes for the last decade and that isn't about to change.
Perfect for giving a festive twist at this time of year too, we present our Dark Nordics trend board and show how family homes can utilise rich hues successfully.
Credits: Home - Daniella Witte. Light - House of Interiors. The Scout Playmat - Totter + Tumble. Sofa - Dunelm. Cushion - Hyde & Hare. Storage Trunk - La Redoute. Ride On Car - Vilac. The Astronomer Playmat - Totter + Tumble. Bench - Oka. Sideboard - 2 Modern. Blanket - Christy. Paint Swatch - Soho House x Lick. Paint - Farrow & Ball.
- Whether you are utilising a dark palette through the space, or are pairing a deep hue with some near neutrals, there are some new rich hues which may be ideal for you. From the collaboration between Soho House x Lick, is new shade Amsterdam House. This bluey-grey shade is an infusion of warm and cool undertones evocative of Soho House Amsterdam's interiors. Also new for 2022 is Hopper Head by Farrow & Ball. This versatile charcoal can be used alongside nearly any other shade and comes in their family-friendly, washable Modern Emulsion paint.
- The layering of textures in this trend brings warmth to the dark colour palette. More is more so choose fluffy scatter cushions, chunky knit blankets and tactile upholstered occasional furniture. Look for durable fabrics that can be spot cleaned, to take the hassle out of everyday living.
- Storage is oversized, but simple. A big, metal trunk can work for toy storage, easily accessible for little ones and allowing for quick tidying at the end of the day too. For games, puzzles and extra storage for the family space, a large and long sideboard will keep plenty hidden away while also serving as a stand for a television or toy rotation surface as well.
- Introduce subtle moon and stars decor pieces into this trend as a nod to the Nordics. This is ideal for all year round, but can be emphasised through the Holiday season, with complimentary festive decorations. We adore the pendant light by House of Interiors, aptly named Nordic Moon Light.
- For the floor, a monochromatic Totter + Tumble playmat replaces a traditional rug. The 1.3cm of memory foam keeps little ones cushioned during floor play, while the sealed surface means any spillages can be wiped up easily. Once little ones are down for the night, they are ideal for pilates and yoga too.