Taking indoor living outdoors isn't new, but there is a growing trend for the patio or decking becoming a versatile space for family living. Whether you have a large garden with a patio space or a humble backyard, terrace or balcony, this family-focused outdoor living trend can cater to you.
- A versatile table is important. From kids enjoying alfresco crafting, to working from home outdoors as well as for dining and entertaining, it is the true hub of the patio. For small spaces, a drop leaf design or side table allows you to maximise the space.
- Keep toes big and small protected from hot artificial grass or tiles, by unrolling a Totter + Tumble playmat. Thermally stable so no chance of scorching in the heat, you'll all want a space on the mat in the warm weather.
- Hardwearing hybrid accessories including beanbags and lanterns are designed to be used both indoors and outdoors. Take them in and out as required.
- Make the most of tight spaces with vertical planters. Encourage learning with your little ones by cultivating your own home crop and see their wonder as seeds shoot up. Learn how to make your own at Instructables.
- Space permitting, an outside cubby play house like the market by Mini Playhomes will inspire endless creative play, perfect for when you are entertaining. Little ones can enjoy alone, or with siblings and other visitors.
- In small spaces, swap out permanent seating for a suspended chair like the Hangoutpod or hammock which can be taken up and down as required, and enjoyed by all members of the family.
- Water play and patio chalks provide the smallest members of the family with plenty of inexpensive fun.